We envision a thriving community that is multi-literate, engaged and welcoming to all.
We provide equitable access to lifelong learning and contribute to the wellbeing of all.
We are a trusted community resource for diverse information and perspectives where the needs and privacy of all are respected.
We prioritize equity, access and inclusion in everything we do.
Joy of Discovery
We spark and sustain a culture of creativity, innovation and self-expression.
We support our community to address today's needs and tomorrow's potential.
We embrace the humanity in everyone and treat all with respect.
Statement on Race and Social Equity
As leaders of North America’s public libraries, we are committed to achieving racial and social equity by contributing to a more just society in which all community members can realize their full potential. Our libraries can help achieve true and sustained equity through an intentional, systemic and transformative library-community partnership. Our library systems are working to achieve equity in the communities we serve by:
- Eliminating racial and social equity barriers in library programs, services, policies and practices
- Creating and maintaining an environment of diversity, inclusion and respect both in our library systems and in all aspects of our community role
- Ensuring that we are reaching and engaging disenfranchised people in the community and helping them express their voice
- Serving as a convener and facilitator of conversations and partnerships to address community challenges
- Being forthright on tough issues that are important to our communities
Libraries are trusted, venerable and enduring institutions, central to their communities and an essential participant in the movement for racial and social equity.
Originally endorsed by the Urban Libraries Council
Download the Statement in English & French